Friday, June 26, 2009

Let's talk about brownies for a minute

Well, only one kind of brownie really, Wuollet's Brownies Enourmous. Wuollet's has several locations in and around the Twin Cities; neither I nor my boyfriend had ever heard of them, so I was surprised when I came across them on the internet. I plan on seeking one out next time I'm up there.

I was looking for a chocolaty dessert for the beer and wine tasting dinner that the boyfriend and I hosted in Minneapolis when I ran across this recipe. I found it on the Food Network website, which directed me to Wuollet's website. They have the recipe right there on the webpage; how could they give away gold like that‽ Needless to say, I loved these. In fact, these may be my go-to brownies, like the brownie recipe that I pull out 30 years from now. I'm excited. 

I've made them twice. I haven't even gotten them right yet, and I still feel this way about them. I overcooked them the first time I made them; they were pretty hard, delicious, but hard. The second time I undercooked them; they were gooey, but not in that good way (well, still good, but not perfect). I'll post an update and pictures next time I make them (hopefully third time's a charm). 

OK, without further ado, Wuollet's Brownies Enormous:

• 3/4 cup butter
• 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1 t vanilla
• 1 cup flour
• 1 cup large walnut pieces and chunks of premium-grade bar chocolate 

  1. preheat oven to 350∘ F
  2. either microwave (on high for about 2 minutes) or melt in a double boiler the chocolate and butter
  3. mix in the next four ingredients - add each ingredient slowly and incorporate as much as possible before adding the next
  4. when the batter is well mixed, fold in the walnuts and chocolate (I prefer leaving the walnuts out and using all chocolate - Cadbury's dark chocolate bar is pretty killer here)
  5. pour into a 9x13 inch pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with "fudgy crumbs" not clean. if it comes out clean, the brownies will be over cooked
  6. cool and enjoy (or you know, just enjoy)
Wuollet recommends serving the brownies warm (nuked) with a dollop and/or giant scoop of vanilla ice cream with fresh raspberries or other seasonal fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment