Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An aside from my usual

I usually don't cook "southern" food. Fatback just doesn't do it for me, neither does heavy whipping cream (well...sometimes it does), and no I don't want any chitterlings (chit'lins), but thanks for asking. Despite this, I decided that yesterday was the day that I was going to foray the southern smorgasbord, and I came out with a recipe for chicken and dumplings. Granted, they are chocked full of tarragon and thyme, somehow I don't think that's traditional, oh my but they are tasty. I won't go through the recipe, as I'd be stealing it straight from Deb over at smittenkitchen, but I will tell you that it is superb - we're talking posh nouveau-southern restaurant good (yes they have those).

As a recovering vegetarian, I think I did pretty good with raw, bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs

This I was much more used to. Aren't leeks beautiful?

It's been such a long time since I've cooked with meat; I must admit, it smells delicious.



Butter and vegetables. Yes.

The dumplings were surprisingly easy. They're just flour, baking powder, salt, milk and fat.

They puff up like profiteroles...

...and they are phenomenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment