Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm happy this is in my kitchen #2: White Whole Wheat Flour - King Arthur

I love making bread. I haven't bought a loaf of sandwich bread since I read this post a few months back, which, incidentally, turned me on to powdered milk, another one of my favorite things. I love the recipe, but I was slightly disappointed with the ratio of whole wheat to white flour. I've made a rock-like loaf of whole wheat bread before, so it's not that I don't understand why there is so much white flour, I just don't like it per se. Then I remembered I had bought some King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour. This stuff is amazing. I read an article about it in a magazine a year or so ago, and I've been buying it ever since. I've been toying with the ratio ever since, and since I've been making this bread (about once a week), I haven't had bad results. I made a loaf yesterday with about 3/4 www to 1/4 white, and it's great. 

The flour itself is lovely. Most whole wheat flours are really gritty, with relatively large chunks of bran or germ or something. This is nothing of the sort. It has a little heftier constitution than the ultra-processed white stuff, but it's still fine and deliciously powdery. It's a little more expensive than regular flour (around $4-5, and it goes on sale with some frequency at my store), but if you're getting quite a few homemade loaves out of it, come on, you know it's worth it.

Links:
Apparently they have a whole grain cookbook; I may eBay or Amazon this!

No comments:

Post a Comment